INDIANAPOLIS (July 31, 2007) – The 22nd stop of the 2007 season at Indianapolis Motor Speedway once again had the stars of the Nextel Cup Series experiencing several indigestion-causing incidents, from fiery crashes to pit road penalties. Each weekend, PRN lead anchor Doug Rice picks the Top 10 TUMS Moments from that week’s racing activities. For the 22nd week of the Nextel Cup season, top TUMS honors go to:
10. Just seconds before NASCAR was scheduled to throw a competition yellow Jeff Green crashes out of the race.
9. After qualifying third Ryan Newman’s day ends early when the alltel Dodge crashes into the fourth turn wall on lap 21.
8. Kasey Kahne’s tough season gets a little worse when he and Tony Raines take each other out in a turn two crash.
7. Early race yellow flag fever continues on lap 47 when Jamie McMurray spins and the resulting crash damages the cars driven by Scott Riggs, Bill Elliott, Jimmie Johnson, J.J. Yeley and Ricky Rudd. Upset stomachs were the norm for the first half of the race.
6. After surviving the first crash the Lowe’s Chevrolet of Jimmie Johnson is sidelined after a blown tire sends him into the wall and out of the race, no repeat performance for Johnson at the Brickyard
5. Lap 55 the early race carnage continues as Elliott Sadler and Casey Mears crash hard. Kyle Petty and Johnny Sauter are also involved.
4. Two time winner of the Brickyard 400 Dale Jarrett fails to qualify.
3. Persistent rains showers drain most of the drama out to the practice and qualifying days.
2. While running in the top five, Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a motor blow and the exodus of fans from Indy starts immediately.
1. Kevin Harvick tries every trick in the book to keep Stewart at bay but eventually Stewart makes the pass and then Harvick loses two more spots to Gordon and Montoya.