BRISTOL (August 27, 2007) – The 24th stop of the 2007 season at Bristol Motor Speedway once again had the stars of the Nextel Cup Series experiencing several indigestion-causing incidents, from faulty ignition boxes to shifters that wouldn’t shift. Each weekend, PRN lead anchor Doug Rice picks the Top 10 TUMS Moments from that week’s racing activities. For the 24th week of the Nextel Cup season, top TUMS honors go to:
10. ESPN loses it’s live satellite feed for the last 3 laps of the Busch Race on Friday night. In case you missed it, Kasey Kahne won the Food City 250.
9. Ignition problems kept John Andretti from taking the green flag at the start of the race. John finally rejoined the race some 20 laps down to the field.
8. Bristol race fans were in shock that the first 126 laps of the Sharpie 500 were caution free, with not even a debris caution.
7. Denny Hamlin spun in Turn Four as a result of motor problems. He winds up spending the night in the garage. This was Hamlin’s first DNF in 53 races and he wound up 43rd for the night.
6. After winning the Sharpie 500 for the last two years, Matt Kenseth was involved in a crash on lap 452, and his remote chance of third win at BMS disappeared.
5. Rookie Aric Almirola, with a little help from Jimmie Johnson, was sent spinning on lap 226. AJ Allmendinger was caught up in the aftermath.
4. Dale Earnhardt Jr. had a strong run and battled in the top 5 all night but his 5th place run only allowed him to gain scant 5 points on Kurt Busch.
3. David Ragan struggled with the shifter on his race car and wound up spinning out 3 times in 50 laps. Does Tums make a tablet for dizziness?
2. Ricky Rudd and Jimmie Johnson are involved in a crash on lap 452, both cars sustained heavy damage.
1. The NEXTEL Cup race to the Chase seems to be over two weeks before Richmond. Barring something totally unforeseen, it appears the top 12 are all but locked in the Chase. This takes a lot of drama away from the always exciting race at Richmond.