PHOENIX, (April 14, 2008) – The eighth stop of the 2008 season at Phoenix International Raceway once again had the stars of the Sprint Cup Series experiencing heartburn-inducing incidents. From engine troubles to late race fuel strategy, a fair share of big-name drivers proved to have several TUMSâ moments. Each weekend, PRN lead anchor, Doug Rice, picks the Top 10 TUMS Moments from last weekend’s racing activities.
This week’s Top 10 TUMS honors go to:
10. FOX and NASCAR postpone the start of the race for 15 minutes waiting for the Red Sox – Yankees baseball game to end, only to have fans miss both the final out of the game and the first lap of the race. That’s like two errors on one play.
9. J.J. Yeley gets caught in a five car crash and finishes 39th. He drops out of the top 35 and now has to suffer the stomach churning agony of having to qualify on speed, or go home early.
8. It is the second week in a row the No. 45 failed to qualify, this time with Kyle Petty at the wheel. The trouble continues for Petty Enterprises.
7. An early pit road penalty for Carl Edwards forces him to race uphill for most of the race, likely killing any chance for Edwards’ fourth win of the year.
6. After winning the pole, Ryan Newman triggers a five car crash and exits the event early with a 43rd place finish.
5. Elliott Sadler’s Dodge Charger starts on the outside of the front row and has a strong run going when the motor gives out on lap 161 and he winds up in the wall.
4. The 2008 campaign continues to be a rough one for Matt Kenseth as he cuts a tire and suffers problems in route to a 38th place finish, falling to 15th in points.
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s losing streak is now at 70 races and counting. The No. 88 looked strong for most of the night but had to stop late for fuel and finished seventh, moving him up to third in points.
2. Mark Martin was in prime position to take the win but had to pit for fuel with just 10 laps remaining and had to settle for fifth.
1. Four time champion, Jeff Gordon still hasn’t found his magic this season. After finishing last in Texas, Gordon was never a real threat to win in Phoenix.
Stay tuned each week for the Top 10 TUMS Moments to see what drivers and teams are most in need of TUMS fast relief.