JOLIET, Ill. (July 15, 2008 ) – The latest stop of the 2008 racing season at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill. had the stars of the Sprint Cup Series experiencing heartburn. From fickle weather conditions that rained out qualifying to a late-race, game-changing caution, big-name drivers experienced more than a few TUMSâ moments in Joliet. Each weekend PRN lead anchor Doug Rice picks the Top 10 TUMS Moments from the weekend’s racing activities.
This week’s Top 10 TUMS honors go to:
10. David Gilliland’s Ford’s engine blew up with just six laps to go at Chicagoland causing him to finish second to last in the race.
9. Bobby Labonte had a decent run going late in the race, but spun out with the end in sight and finished near the back of the pack.
8. Denny Hamlin’s early engine problems and faulty ignition box put him four laps down, though his Gibbs teammates had much better nights.
7. Matt Kenseth appeared to be on his way to breaking a season-long winless streak until he was forced to pit road on lap 125 with a flat tire, ending his battle for the lead.
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr. started on the front row at Chicagoland, but hit a low note as his Chevy struggled all night. He finished the race in 16th.
5. Heavy rain on Friday washed out qualifying forcing Tony Raines and Johnny Sauter out of the race, as they weren’t given the chance to qualify.
4. J.J. Yeley and Hall of Fame Racing got busted for having led filled water bottles in their car. Yeley starts the race at the back of pack and the team will be grabbing the TUMS when they get handed the penalties.
3. Carl Edwards took the lead away from Kyle Busch, but immediately gave it up as the front splitter on his Ford collapsed.
2. The infield mud at Chicagoland was the only thing that could slow down Kyle Busch as his racecar became stuck there after his victory burnout. His happy crew was more than willing to help give him a push.
1. Jimmie Johnson pulled away from the field late and looked headed for victory lane until a late-race caution allowed Kyle Busch to make a heroic pass on the second to last lap and secure his seventh win of the season.
Stay tuned each week for the Top 10 TUMS Moments to see which drivers and teams are most in need of TUMS fast relief.